The EN KB Article, How do I uninstall and reinstall Evernote?, provides the steps to uninstall/reinstall the EN App, but NOT the data.
In some cases, you will want to uninstall BOTH the EN App and data.
Warning! This process can result in loss of ALL of your Evernote data stored on your Mac.
Make sure you have a backup and fully understand this process before proceeding.
Here is the full uninstall process for EN Mac:
- Goto Evernote Mac > About Evernote
- Hold down the OPTION key to reveal the “Open Database Folder” link
- Click on this link to open the Mac Finder to this folder
- QUIT Evernote, both the App and from the Apple menu (if it is still there)
- The Finder is showing the EN data folder for the current EN account that you are logged in to on your Mac
- In the Finder, move back to the top level Evernote folder.
- The top level Evernote folder, which is up a few levels, is: “com.evernote.Evernote”.
- For the Direct D/L version, the Parent Folder of this is: ~Library:Application Support
- Backup this Top Level Evernote folder, either by a copy to another location (preferably to an external drive), or using Time Machine
- When you are SURE you have a good backup, you need to remove (uninstall) all files/folders related to Evernote. Just make sure it does NOT remove your EN backup made in Step #8.You have two options to do this: (I recommend #1)
- Using an app uninstaller like AppDelete
- Manual Deletion
- In the Mac Applications folder, move the Evernote app to Trash.
- Manually delete (move to Trash) the “Evernote” folder.
- Note that this is removing EN Mac for ALL EN Accounts.
- At this point Evernote (App and data) for ALL EN Accounts should be completely removed from your Mac.
- Although not absolutely necessary, I like to reboot my Mac at this point.
- You are now ready to install the version of EN Mac that you want.
If at any step things don’t look right, or you don’t feel comfortable about the process, STOP the process, and ask questions in the EN Discussion Forum. Feel free to PM me if you have urgent questions.